Alexander Keir Moilliet 1880 - 1921

Alexander Keir Moilliet was raised at Cheney Court near Abberley and by the time he was 15 years old he was determined to become a physician. He came to Canada and undertook various activities including farming and police work, even going to South Africa during the Boer War being seconded to the South African Mounted Police. Evenually he returned to his first interest by beginning his medical studies at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia and at Baltimore Medical School in Baltimore, Maryland.

Near the conclusion of his medical training he inquired of some friends in medical school where he might meet a lady as nice as one of his medical school friends. He was told to correspond with a Miss Odo Surratt of Waco Texas, which he did.

Alex had already secured a position as medical officer with a mining company a few miles north of Monclova, Mexico (on the rail line to Eagle Pass, TX) and was on his way to his appointment when he arrived in Waco, Texas to meet Miss Surratt for the first time. They married and both then proceeded to Lampacitos, Mexico.

In 1911 they moved to Teziutlan, located on the rail line between Mexico City and Vera Cruz.

In 1914 he accepted an appointment with the Eagle Oil Company at their industrial installation at Minitatlan, located at the southern extreme of the Gulf of Mexico.

Alex and Odo had three children, John Lewis, Alexander Keir and Marguerite. Unfortunately young Alex lived less than a year. Alex had to send his young family to Texas on several occasions to escape revolution and political unrest.

In each community where they lived Alex operated a clinic for the local residents. He had a large appreciation for the Mexican people. They referred to him as "Don Alejandro", considered a title of distinction.

Alex was with Eagle Oil during the Great War and the company's refining complex in Minitatlan contributed significantly to the war effort.

In the late fall of 1920 the family went to London aboard a company oil tanker and Alex undertook additional study at the London School of Tropical Medicine. On the way back to Mexico he came down with maleria. He was cared for at the company hospital in Minitatlan but as his condition grew worse we was transfered to a better medical facility at Tampico, Mexico. Unfortunately complications ended his life much too early, at age 41.

Odo and her young children moved to Seymour, Texas to live near her relatives.

Son John (known as Jock) was born in 1913 in Minnatitlan, Veracruz, Mexico but with the family move to Texas following his father's untimely death he received most of his education at Rice University in Texas. He eventually went to England for further education and stayed there and made a career as a researcher with the I.C.L. chemical company. He authored a book titled Waterproofing and Water Repellency in 1963. He passed away in 1995.

Daughter Marguerite (known as Peggy) was born in 1915 also in Minatitlan and raised in Texas. She did both her undergraduate and graduate studies at Rice University where she met her husband Fred Terry Rogers. They became a physics teaching and research team. Peggy taught briefly at the University of Houston before joining the Naval Air Warfare Center in Indianapolis in 1943 becoming head of optics research there. After the end of World War II, she was briefly a researcher at the University of North Carolina before becoming a weapons researcher at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. She then moved to the Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake, California. Her work at China Lake was interrupted for a year spent teaching physics at the Royal Technical College at Salford in England.

In 1953 she moved to South Carolina, to become professor of physics and head of the science division at Columbia College near the University of South Carolina, where her husband Fred Terry Rogers Jr. became head of the physics department. He died in 1956, and she returned to China Lake in 1957. In 1966 she became head of the Weapons Systems Analysis Division there and from 1977 to 1978 she was acting head of the laboratory. She retired in 1980, and died on March 14, 1989, in nearby Ridgecrest. Three of her four sons also had careers at the China Lake Naval Research Station.