The Family on Vancouver Island, British Columbia

Theodore Maynard Moilliet (1883 - 1968)

Erskine Lind Moilliet (1889 - 1954)

Brothers Theodore Maynard Moilliet and Erskine Lind Moilliet came to Canada in 1910 and both settled in Parksville, British Columbia and raised their families there.

Theodore became a builder of small boats and Erskine owned and operated a fuel delivery truck. Erskine furthered his education by attending a forestry school in Washington State and became a licensed Forester.

They were very close as brothers and both joined the 16th. Battalion of the Canadian Scottish (Highland Regiment) in Vancouver on August 10, 1914, at the outbreak of World War I and were sent overseas as privates. They were trained as snipers and they both served with the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) in France.

Erskind was first wounded at Ypres, April 17, 1915, and hospitalized for 5 days. On May19, 1915 both brothers were wounded in action on the same day at Festubert, before the second battle of Ypres. As a result Erskine was deafened in one ear and was hospitalized for 6 months.

Theodore had his shoulder shot away and ended up as ground crew with the RAF, though, as he told it, was allowed to go aloft (in a Sopwith Camel or whatever), "to drop Mills bombs on the Boche below."

Erskine's wounds were more considerable and he almost died. But one day, in the field hospital, he groaned as someone was passing by, who promptly dressed his wound "pulling yards of gangrenous bandage out of his head"! His war wounds resulted in a shrapnel scar by his right ear and neck.

He then rejoined the war effort by joining the East Kent Regiment (The Buffs) on November 23, 1915 being commissioned as a second Lieutenant and promoted to Lieutenant on July 1, 1917. He was appointed Brigade Sniping & Intelligence Officer, 202nd. Infantry Brigade on June 25,1916 and Divisional S. & I.O., until November 1, 1917.

Later he was appointed Commandant of the 67th, Divisional School of Sniping from March 22,1917 until September 22,1917 and then as Divisional Musketry Officer on October 7, 1917 and promoted to Acting Captain on February 1, 1919 leaving the regiment on May 31,1919.

Between the wars Erskine became a teacher at Qualicum Beach School, near Parksville, from 1934 to 1940 and Theodore returned to his boat building business.

At the out break of World War II Erskine rejoined the Canadian Army, on August 1, 1940, as an instructor with the rank of Lieutenant and assigned to army bases in Calgary. He served at numerous army bases in Western Canada instructing at Lethbridge, Edmonton and Wainwright in Alberta and Prince Rupert, Victoia and Chilliwack in B.C. He was promoted to Captain while serving in Victoria on March 9, 1943. He was promoted to Major just prior to retiring from the Strathcona Light Horse Regiment in Calgary, Alberta on May 14, 1946 having 68 months of service.

Erskine had married Janet Parsons in St. Marys Church, Oak Bay, Victoria on January 1, 1923 and had 3 boys -Tony, John and David. When David went to University in Victoria B.C. in 1941, Jan bought a house in Victoria in 1945 and Erskine and Jan moved to Esquimalt, B.C. in 1946.

(Contributed by David Moilliet of Ottawa)